Probate and Estate Planning

Osage, Iowa lawyers Mark Walk and Aaron Murphy offer a wide range of estate planning and administration services.

Experience Counts

For more than 20 years, the lawyers at Walk & Murphy, P.L.C. have provided estate planning and administration counsel to their neighbors in Osage, Iowa and throughout Northwest Iowa.

From Wills to Trusts to Health Care Directives and Powers of Attorney, we help clients put estate plans in place, and help their named fiduciaries carry them out. We will ensure that our client’s assets pass to their intended beneficiaries, and, we work hard to ensure their medical wishes are upheld. We also assist executors and trustees with the probate and trust estate administration processes.


  • General Estate Planning
  • Administration Estate Planning
  • Planning for Beneficiaries with Disabilities
  • Planning for when a person becomes elderly or ill
  • All Estate Services

Your Will

Do you have a Will? If not, call us. A well-drafted will provides clear, unambiguous instructions for how you want your estate to be distributed upon your passing. It specifies beneficiaries, the people or groups to receive your property and assets upon your death. If you have minor children, your will should also appoint a legal guardian to care for those children.


In a trust, you transfer ownership of property to a person you choose, the trustee. The trustee manages your property for your benefit and for the benefit of others you designate. Trustees can be family members, friends, or even an institution such as a bank. Some trusts take effect when you die; others are in effect while you’re living. Depending on the type of trust you choose, your estate may avoid probate upon your death.

Living Will and Power of Attorney

The purpose of a living will is to specify your wishes for your medical treatment should you become unable to do so. For example, you can request that your health care providers not resuscitate you if your heart stops, or you can request that they take all reasonable measures to resuscitate you. The health care durable power of attorney names the person you want to make health care decisions on your behalf and to carry out your living will. This person can be anyone you choose, but it is usually a spouse, adult child, sibling or close friend.

A Power of Attorney is a document in which you appoint someone to manage your assets if you become unable to manage them. If you become incapacitated — for example, by stroke, dementia or serious accident — this person pays your bills. The people or groups involved in estate administration are those you designate to carry out your wishes — following your death or, in the case of some trusts, during your life.


An executor is the person you choose to ensure the conditions of your will are met: He or she must pay your estate’s debts and taxes before transferring the rest of your assets to your beneficiaries.


A trustee is the person you designate to manage your trust. What should I consider in planning my estate at midlife or if I am elderly? If you have assets, such as a home or investments, or if you have a family, it is never too early to plan your estate. You can always revise your will later. Many people revise their wills several times as their financial and family circumstances change. Regardless of your age, and certainly if you are at midlife or elderly, you should hire an experienced estate attorney to prepare a will and durable power of attorney. You may also want to discuss ways to avoid or minimize probate. One strategy is to create a revocable living trust. As with a will, you name a trustee, but unlike a will, you transfer — into the living trust — all of the property that you want to leave to your heirs. You can change or revoke this kind of trust at any time.

Farm Sales/Auctions

We handle farm sales and auctions from start to finish. Mark Walk and Aaron Murphy have years of experience in handling farm sales.

We maintain a list of individuals that are always interested in purchasing agricultural real estate and specifically target those clients with letters and brochures.

Call us to set up an appointment. No obligation.

Probate/Estate Planning/Wills

We handle all aspects of probate law and estate planning.

Do you have a will? Do you know what a "living will" is? Do you have an estate you wish to leave to certain loved ones?

We handle all aspects of probate law from administration of your estate to preparing and planning for the future. Call us. We will help you.

Workers’ Compensation

Injured at work? Aaron Murphy represents folks who have been hurt at work. If you were on the job and sustained a work-related injury, Aaron Murphy will help you get the benefits you deserve.

Insurance companies have lawyers on staff to defend the employer. They work to save the company money; at your expense. Let Aaron Murphy help you. Call today to arrange an consultation.

Law Office Address

Walk & Murphy, P.L.C.
515 State Street
Osage, IA 50461

Ph: 641-732-3796
Fx: 641-732-5345